Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sad, yet exciting...exciting, yet sad!

*sigh*
My baby is growing up. Yes, I knew there would be a day when Lochlan no longer needed me to fulfill his nourishment requirements. I just didn't expect it so soon. And at his doing.

Pretty much every time I try to nurse him, he laughs at me and pushes me away. No kidding! It actually makes me sad. My micropreemie is growing up. After pumping for over 3 months while he was in the hospital, anxiously awaiting to nurse him, and finally after waiting about 2 months, it finally happening, my baby has decided that he can do things on his own now! He has finally had a lightbulb moment with the sippy cup and is much more interested in feeding and drinking all by himself. Mr. Independent.

Well okay then. I'm excited that he wants to and it will free up some time for me and make me more independent again but it also pulls a bit on my heart. I had read about how some or most preemies aren't able to nurse and to not get my hopes up and to expect to be bottle feeding or at least doing a combination of the two. And yet, Lochlan continued to defy the odds. He was such a "free champion" (I put that in there for you Danielle & Victor!) that he took to nursing early at 34 weeks! Usually they don't try until around a few weeks later when the sucking reflex kicks in. Not our boy!

I strongly believe that nursing him has given him more strength to fight off infections and to grow and develop and so many more benefits. He is amazing. Have I mentioned how much I love him?

My favourite boys!


We met with Dr. Moore last week and Lochlan is up to 14 pounds, and 11 ounces. He's 26 and 3/4 inches tall, and his head circumference is 45cm. He's a growing machine these days!!! He's touching the length curve and just below the weight curve. He's getting there!!! And that's even the chart for the very low birth weight babies! Maybe at this rate, we'll get to 20 pounds by Christmas! One can hope! (side note: he was 3 pounds, 11 ounces this time last year!)

He is so close to walking now. Starting to walk behind one of his toys as it pushes forward. And he's a stair climber now as well!!! Yikes! Still like lightning as he military crawls all over the place. Although he is starting to go up on his hands and knees a lot more frequently.

He also has started to say "mama", and even "dada" is being used a lot more in context lately. He likes to dance and clap and smile smile smile!

We took Abby and Lochlan to the zoo last Wednesday to celebrate Abigail's 3rd birthday. We had a great time. Was a little disappointed in the lack of animals and the crazy annoying layout but the kids enjoyed it for sure. We went to the Toronto Zoo thinking we'd like to see giraffes, and zebras, and elephants and lions, etc. We should have went to the smaller zoo in Bowmanville but fingers crossed next year we'll do that! It's apparently great for little kids. We shall see...

I'm actually starting to fall asleep. We've been cottaging this past week and Lochlan was up before 5:30 this morning. Argh! I'll have to blog about our adventures another time. (and Abby's birthday party) And I'll have to post picture too. I've set my iPod somewhere safe and of course am having a brain fart to where I put it. Hope I find it soon since I have my calendar and pics and videos I haven't uploaded yet on it.

Til next time,
Jenn

2 comments:

  1. Yea! I love seeing new posts from you!

    This one is sad for me too because we're almost right there with you. Timmy still loves to nurse to sleep but rarely wants to nurse during the day. He latches on but then gets distracted. But it's all good! We want them to grow and get bigger, right? Right?

    Definitely seems to have gone all too fast that they are suddenly ready to be toddlers.

    Can't wait to see more posts of cottaging and birthday adventures!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems he'll nurse overnight...but that's pretty much it. And I don't want to get him in that habit!

    But I agree 100% Wendy!

    ReplyDelete