Saturday, May 8, 2010

Update

Our little man continues to fight. He is amazing. I am so proud of him already. He has been through so much for only being not quite officially 3 days old.

This morning I was able to walk down to the nursery and drop off some breast milk myself and have a wee little visit with our son. I've never been able to do it by myself with trying to heal from the surgery. While I was there, the doctors and nurses were on rounds so I got to listen in on Lochlan's progress. Mind you there were a lot of numbers and letters thrown around and it all sort of went over my head, but I was happy to be there. He is doing so much better. He is off the the N.O. (which I think is referred to as Nitrous oxide) which opens up the lungs and makes it easier for the ventilation. But he no longer needs that which is a huge step. He is a bit dehydrated so they are going to increase this and that but aren't that concerned about it.

He had an Echo-cardiogram (sp?) done yesterday for his heart and his heart and lungs look so much better. As well he had a scan done yesterday on his brain and it looked great as well. There is always some concern about bleeding which could lead to developmental problems, etc. So it's a big worry. He will have another one of those done on Wednesday...so fingers crossed and prayers said that it will be normal as well.

I can't begin to describe how much love and prayers and support is being felt from our end. We can't thank you enough. I have found this whole process very overwhelming to say the least and because everything happened so fast, my emotions were sort of kept out of it for a time. Believe me, I felt them last night. Combined with worry, sleep deprivation, loneliness, pain and some pumping issues with the pump, I couldn't help but break down a bit. All of a sudden the reality of this situation hit me. I know there will be waves and tides, or ebbs and flows as they say, but I found last night to be the most difficult. But don't worry, I won't let myself stay down there too long!
Lochlan needs a strong mommy to help fight for him too!

I am hoping to go home either tomorrow or Monday. There was talk about maybe today but I am so not ready yet.

P.S. Abby is coming for a visit to see mommy today. I can't wait. I miss her so much. She has been a great trooper throughout this and is so unbelievable at adapting. I couldn't be more proud of her.

Love and hugs,
Jenner

No comments:

Post a Comment